Make WHISPER PHONES!
What these little gadgets do is create a passageway for the students' voice to travel. They can read very very quietly (whisper), but they will be able to hear themselves through the "phone."
Here's what you need and everything can be found at Home Depot or any home improvement store.
- A 3/4 INCH PVC Pipe (This is a really long pipe for just a couple bucks). One pipe can make approximately 25-30 phones.
- 3/4 INCH Elbow pieces for the pipe. You need two per phone and each is about 45 cents.
-A PVC Pipe Cutter
- Duck Tape to make it look pretty!
1) Use the pipe cutter to cut the pipe into approx. 3 inch long pieces.
2) Connect an elbow on each end of the cut pipe.
3) Wrap the middle with duck tape.
I do have to admit that I had to watch a YouTube Video on how to use a pipe cutter. Kind of embarrassing that I couldn't open it. But then I realized there are videos dedicated JUST on how to open the darn thing. Here is a link to one:
So yea! There are your handy dandy whisper phones. Kids will love them and if they can hear themselves read, but not bother those around them, they can improve on their accuracy and fluency as readers!
Let me know if you have any questions!